Monday, November 8, 2010

South Indian Feasting

The Chef: Gabrielle and Udupi Palace

The Menu: Chili and onion uthappam with sambar and chutneys.

The Goods: I was craving dosa, uthappam, or really anything carb-y and spicy, so I went for an uthappam at the nearby Udupi Palace, accompanied by Office Manager Lyndsay Orwig. When I insisted that Lyndsay try the Paper Masala Dosa, I honestly didn't anticipate that Lyndsay's dosa would be, literally, three feet long, but she didn't complain. My uthappam was a delightful pancake of mixed veggies and chilies, accompanied by a tasty sambar and tomato, peanut, and coconut chutneys. A fine way to start out the week, leading into the holidays! Speaking of which, you might want to check out our brand new VegNews Holiday Cookbook, packed with amazing vegan recipes for all your holiday occasions!

7 comments:

MeloMeals said...

That's an intense Dosa!

B said...

Are Joe and Colleen not eating Indian food yet? I was on the India trip and I just had my first bite of Indian today. All of that looks great!

KitteeBee said...

uthapam is my favorite. i ate it every. single. meal for three weeks when we traveled in south india. did you know it's xgfx? it's just made with urad dal and rice!

xo
kittee

PO Box said...

I like to eat south Indian food also. I love to eat uthappam with green chutney. It is very delicious to taste with coconut chutney. Nice stuff!

Glo said...

Mmmmm!! I was on the VegVoyages India trip right before the big VegNews one, and am craving some good South Indian food like no other. I have yet to find a South Florida restaurant with masala dosa!

VegNews Magazine said...

Update: Joe and Colleen are still not eating Indian food after two weeks of (delicious) Indian cuisine three times a day on the VegNews Great Adventure to India. Hopefully that will change soon, as this lunch looked delicious!

Megha said...

I am living in South India for a few months. One of my favorite dishes is the tomato omelet (which has no eggs, but a chick pea batter base.) We usually make them at home but I had one at a restaurant yesterday that my husband said looked more like a tomato and onion uthapam. Either way it was great. Masala dosa is my all time favorite. It was nice to see this post about South Indian vegan dining. Thanks for sharing.